Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mountain Biking, here I come

Okay, fall VII is a good introduction to this post !

Well, I bought the mountain bike within a week of moving in to Canberra with high hopes. But to be honest, once the roadie was here, it was gathering dust. Actually, I did wipe off the dust every now n then, lube it and keep the tyres well inflated to that day when I would take it on.

The mountain bike was not immune to the punctures as well and it stayed temporarily suspended partly due to that reason. 

Anyway, the weather is getting too perfect and my hiatus from outdoor cycling just HAD to end. So, I figured, here's an idea: let me make it interesting and use the roadie on my trainer indoors and use the mountain outdoors. But to really enjoy the ride, I need the proper shoes.  I mean come on, without the proper shoes, its just not cycling !! hehehe

Once I made the easy "sale" of buying shoes for the mountain, I just went out and did it. The first pair I got was 1 size short, but I did have a quick ride in it. Enough to awake the beast !!

I also discovered that there is an upside to being the bush capital of Australia. Its not the road as such, but what's along the roads. Small dirt trails and the like.

Or that's what I thought.

All this while, I never quite comprehended that there was a nature reserve right behind my house and that these reserves are usually restricted to walks and cycles. Anyway, I got my shoes exchanged today and set out to discover the tracks on Mt Majura. 

It was epiphany in motion. It was the first time I used my mountain bike to do anything remotely "mountain". I can't quite describe my joy in words or numericals. It was like the thing I have been waiting for all my life !! What immediately came to mind were the innumerable action clips I must've seen over the time which exemplified "mountain biking".  And this, this lovely mountain was it. 

I also admit that it was the FIRST time in my 6 years in Australia that I have seen Roos up close and personal. I'm a bit ashamed to admit that, but its never too late (cuz it is now!!) hehehe. Once again, I'm smitten by cycling and I'm simply awestruck at nature reserves. I'm in half a mind to kick myself for having missed out on this all this while, but oh well, a start is a start.

And besides, all good things start only after you buy cycling shoes for that specific bike type.

1 comment:

Myaaaaa said...

I think for the mountain biking episode... I deserve some credit ..heheh..coz m the one who keeps talking travel all the time and u got so smitten that you decided to explore it.. ;)
And as far as the Roos go, dont worry once we are together, well keep bumping into them and many more species a lot more often.. ;)